Friday, June 15, 2012

NaBloPoMo - Jumping for Joy with a Full Glass of Lemonade


Friday, June 15, 2012
Is the proverbial glass half empty or half full?

My glass is FULL and overflowing ... of  lemonade .  You know the saying, "when life hands you lemons, make  lemonade "?  And so I have.  Pretty much my whole life, I've been making  lemonade , but the last 4 years have left my glass overflowing - it's running down my arms and making puddles on the floor.
I tried to sell some lemons and  lemonade  at a lemonade stand, but while I got plenty of traffic, and everyone happily slurped up the free samples and praised the product ... nobody wanted to buy any.
I tried to freeze it!  But my freezer is full now too.  
My pets wouldn't drink it - although the kids think it tastes pretty good as well.  I try to make sure it's got enough sugar in it - though with the price of food these days, I've been making it more and more bitter.  Do you know Scholar and Sunshine will eat lemon like it is candy?
My lemonade is a special recipe ...
1.  Water - Isaiah 58:11 The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.
2.  Sugar - Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. 
3.  Pinch of Salt - Colossians 4:6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
4.  Lemons - Psalm 37:40 The LORD helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him.    Ecclesiastes 4:1 Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun: I saw the tears of the oppressed--and they have no comforter; power was on the side of their oppressors--and they have no comforter.     Jeremiah 16:19 O LORD, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in time of distress, to you the nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Our fathers possessed nothing but false gods, worthless idols that did them no good.

It doesn't really matter what kind of lemons, or how big or small, or how bitter.  When I remember to make lemonade with the Words of God, it's not nearly so bitter to swallow.
Sure, there have been times that I've been too lazy, and preferred to suck on my sour lemons.  But I'm slowly learning how to enjoy the sweet side of trials.
So here I stand in a puddle of lemonade.  I can think of a million ways for God to solve my problems, but one thing I have learned through the years ... God's ways are not my ways  Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.   ....  I know that God will bring the towel to mop the floor, and will give me cold fresh water to drink.  He always does.
And suddenly, I find my feet are dancing and my heart is lighter, and I ignore the lemonade sloshing out of my glass.

Some other favorites....
Proverbs 17:22 A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Romans 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?

Thursday, June 14, 2012
What food brings you intense joy to eat?
I think I answered this one on Monday as well.
Chocolate
Beef
Turkey legs
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Chinese Food (but not spicy hot)
Pizza
Fried Chicken
Salad
Chili with Fritos
Did I mention Chocolate yet?


Wednesday, June 13, 2012
What makes your heart leap?
Monday's question was ... what makes you Leap for Joy?
This (at least to me) just seems to be a repeat of Monday ... at least, I wouldn't change my approach or answer much at all.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Where is your favourite place to be?

My favorite place ... oh wow, that one could be a short answer ... the MOUNTAINS!  
or perhaps it should be though about more ...
When I'm tired, I just want my own bed and my own pillow.  I take my pillow with me on vacation, it's a heavy Buckwheat pillow.  But I can't sleep without it!
When I'm mentally overwhelmed, I want a good book, preferably in the fantasy or sci-fi genre.  But I also enjoy adventure and historical fiction and nonfiction.
When I want to relax, I want a shady spot (no bugs) sipping some lemonaide or iced tea, reading a book and watching my kids play.
I enjoy being at church.
I enjoy teaching my kids.
I enjoy the mountains at sunset.
I'm mostly a homebody - and I like being home.  I would love to travel.  But home is where the heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...