Friday, October 19, 2012

Making Soap

Repost from my other blog...
I'll be updating and expanding with lots more pictures soon.
Back when I posted this... Blogger limited us to 5 pictures on an upload.


I make my own laundry soap - and I've been doing it for about 5 years.

Never seem to get the same results twice - which slightly irritates some people. But I don't care - I USUALLY like the results anyway.


One thing I've learned it that the DISTILLED WATER is important.




To that I add some kind of soap base -
1/3 bar of deoderant/antibacterial soap,
or 1/3 cup LOC, or Dr. Bonners.... whatever I have on hand.
Avoid soaps with conditioners or lotions - like Dove.

1 Cup Borax

1 Cup Washing Soda

1/4 cup Tri-Zyme (or other color booster)

1/4 Cup Lysol Cleaner (germ killer)

and usually I add drops of Eucalyptus or Peppermint essential oils.


Sometimes I remember to add 1/2 tbsp. glycerin to make it gel better.


And I store it in the same pot that I mix it in - on top of the washing machine.

Cost is approx 8 - 10 cents a load - adding the cost of the extras in there.
(Due to the rising cost of ingredients - cost is up to 15c a load.)





 I put the water on to heat - and dumped in some small dried up bars that I found when making the soaps for Christmas. It was a bit more than 1/3 bar.

Then I forgot I was making it.

I ended up turning it off late at night and going to bed, promising to finish it the next day.

And when Story pulled the lid off the next morning - look at what we found!



We turned the heat on low, stired in the rest of the ingredients, and called it done. It's WEIRD looking, kinda like playing in raw egg whites, or slightly cooked ones?

But it's kind of fun to use.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have been making it more or less like this ever since.
We melt down the soap base,
and then add the powders as it is cooling,
and the oils and Lemon Antibacterial Cleaner after it cools.
Stir thoroughly.

Now we keep it in an old powdered soap plastic container.


Recently,
we actually found Fels Naptha Soap...
and we didn't like it at all.

IF we want it for Whites,
I make a small batch with bleach added.



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...