Friday, January 12, 2018

Weekly Web Finds : Jan 12, 2018 : Calendars and Time and Lots More


 Between the frigid cold that has our area in a tither ... we don't often get long freezing spells ... and becoming adjusted to taking HBP meds ... which make me lethargic ... it has been very difficult to keep up with my blog.  I have plans!  Lots of plans!   But I'm finding recovering fully from a stroke while making wholesale lifestyle changes and staying up all night to babysit boiling water and room heaters (so the furnace has warmer air to take in) has been wearing me a bit thin.   Bear with me through the next 5-6 weeks of extreme cold, and hopefully, I'll be back on board by then.

Thank you to my readers!



HOMESCHOOLING

Never underestimate what a kid can do or learn!   I have long held to the belief that if you set a child at a task, and give them room to learn and make mistakes, they will usually surprise you in a positive way.  I've seen good cooks as young as 3 and 4, artists as young as 5, toddlers who could sew or knit or garden ... helping very young children explore talents and interests opens the world for them and gives them confidence.

A favorite author of Historical Fiction - Patricia Beatty - I LOVED her books growing up, they are hard to find now days, but such fun to read!

This week Scholar asked ... "Who decided to invent the measurement of time and why did they use 12s and 60s?"   So we did some research.   He hasn't covered all of it yet, and is still searching for an answer.

Trick to remembering number of days in each month

Loop Scheduling

Theistic Evolution

Periodic Table


MINISTRIES And CHRISTIANITY



MARRIAGE and PARENTING

Mantras to live by

ADHD

Sleeping Kids

So ... I thought about trying to print or make myself a calendar ... and found some interesting places and interesting options


COOKING AND HOMEMAKING POSTS

Bone Broth

Diet

Freezer Meals for the Crock Pot

Garlic Mushrooms

Limit Lecitins to improve health

Cleaning House

Homesteading Kitchen Tools

Coconut Yogurt


HEALTH POSTS

High Blood Pressure  ... this is something I am struggling with.   I went into the hospital on Oct. 15 and they took it at 260 / 159 (or about that).  No wonder I had a stroke!  Thankful to God that it was very small with little damage ... but now I am far more devoted to losing weight and lowering my blood pressure.

Stress 

Heart Disease

Dangers of No Salt or Low Salt Diet

Gluten and Skin Health

Sleeping Issues

Chamomile Tea

 EMF Exposure

Staying Warm

Coconut Oil helps Altheimierz 

Castor Oil

ONE change to improve your health

Losing Pregnancy Weight ..Video (Mom of 10)



GARDENING AND BUGS AND PESTS

 Southern Snow Days

Organic




POLITICS  (Sort of) … HISTORY

 Trump ... so far I'm on board ... I like how he plays with his grandkids, supports the military, gives away his entire salary, rewards hard work, and goes to bat for the common people.  He is not as polished as the common politician and lawyer ... but he has heart and conviction.   I pray he doesn't switch oars midstream as some predict.  But I will wait and judge him on his actions and results, not on speculation.

Emporers new clothes

Oprah ...  not that I agree with the whole article ... but anyway ....



JOBS and FURTHER EDUCATION

Is college really required to live well in our society?   I have a degree in Math from almost 30 years ago.  The Ref has a degree in computer science ... and neither of us have truly benefitted from those degrees.  We were fortunate to not have debt from them either.  I did teach high school math for 2 years, and the Ref worked as a programmer for a little over a decade, but not at the big salaries that the college pushers promised he would have.  He found it took good grades and hard work to find a job and keep it!    Now he manages at a McDonalds, and daily meet people who have a degree and debt and work entry level for minimum wage.

Work from home

Defining What is not



MONEY

Taxes 






TECHNOLOGY

 Kids on the internet ... I'm a mid grounder on this issue.  My kids have tech, lots of it.  Low cost tablets (with Screen Time installed), Kindles that they got for Christmas from relatives and they READ, as well as computers.   But we also have games, books, legos, K'nex, chores and more ... we strive to teach them to use their tech as tools.   What we don't have is a TV with cable nor a game system.... so I think it balances out in the long run.


JUST AMAZING STUFF


Largest Prime Number

Cute Valentine Craft

Snow Globe Craft

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...